The Rowe-Weatherford Scholarships are funded through monies raised during the Top Cop Golf Tournament. Named after an FBI agent from Arkansas, Truett E. Rowe, and an FBINA Associate from this chapter, whom was killed in the line of duty June 12, 2017, Patrick Weatherford, the scholarships were established to assist children of law enforcement officers.


On June 1, 1937, Special Agent Truett E. Rowe was shot and killed by Guy Osborne, who was sought by the FBI in connection with his April 22, 1937, escape from the Eufala, Oklahoma, county jail. Osborne, a fugitive, was wanted in Fort Smith, Arkansas, where a complaint charging him with violation of the Motor Vehicle Theft Act was outstanding. SA Rowe and the local police chief located Osborne at his brothers ranch in Gallup, New Mexico, late on the afternoon of June 1, 1937. Osborne was gathering some of his possessions when he unexpectedly drew a concealed revolver and fired at SA Rowe. The Gallup police chief then attempted to shoot Osborne, but his gun misfired and Osborne escaped. SA Rowe died while the police chief was rushing him to the hospital.
That evening, the police chief and another officer succeeded in recapturing Osborne. He was tried in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for the murder of SA Rowe, and was found guilty of first degree murder. On October 5, 1937, Osborne was sentenced to life imprisonment and was sent to the U.S. Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas, on October 6, 1937.
SA Rowe was born in Amity, Arkansas, in March of 1904. He received his appointment as a Special Agent of what was then known as the Division of Investigation and began training in 1935. During his time as an Agent, SA Rowe worked in the Nashville, San Antonio, and El Paso field offices.


LIEUTENANT PATRICK WEATHERFORD - NEWPORT POLICE DEPARTMENTLieutenant Patrick Weatherford was shot and killed while investigating a vehicle larceny near the intersection of Park Place and Bowen Street at approximately 6:00 pm. He was assisting other officers check the area when they observed a suspicious person flee on foot. As the officers followed the man into a residential area he suddenly turned and opened fire, striking Lieutenant Weatherford. Lieutenant Weatherford was transported to a local hospital where he succumbed to his wounds. The subject turned himself in approximately 90 minutes later.

Lieutenant Weatherford had served with the Newport Police Department for 15 years and was assigned to the Criminal Investigations Division. He was a graduate of the 263rd session of the FBI National Academy.

Click here for the application

Member Login

Only pre-registered users will be allowed to access the members only section of this site. Contact Scotty Hodges if you need to register.